Two public meetings and an Advisory Committee meeting were held on September 6th and 7th in Hermiston and Joseph, OR. The meetings were a success, with more than a dozen members of the public in attendance and 14 Advisory Committee members.
OPRD staff heard some great feedback from those attending. Comments included:
- Need for additional consultation with Tribes
- Maintain character and overall levels of use at Minam State Recreation Area
- Support for addressing parking and unauthorized camping issues at Minam
- Maintain equestrian use at Minam
- Look into formalizing river access along the Wallowa Lake Highway Scenic Corridor
- Support for more ADA facilities
- Need to limit bear and other wildlife interactions at Wallowa Lake State Park
- Concern about potential rise in lake levels at Wallowa Lake State Park
- Need to maintain natural areas and scenic quality along the lakeshore at Wallowa Lake State Park
- Interest in event center facilities in and around Wallowa Lake State Park
… and many others!
Meeting notes and a downloadable version of the presentation slides are posted below.
OPRD will evaluate all comments received to date, including results from the online survey, as we develop a draft Master Plan document over the coming months. We anticipate holding a second round of public meetings in Spring or early Summer 2018 to present the Draft Master Plan for comment. In the meantime we will update the website periodically with news – please stay in touch!